I went to the local nursery to have a survey on what is suitable to grow this month. Not planning to buy any seedlings, funny though I don’t have much luck growing from bought seedlings than I grow from seeds. Because of that I don’t plan to buy any seedlings this summer but be patient and grow them by seeds. But when I saw something I never grown before I cannot resist…so I bought these seedlings:
(1) Eggplant – Bonica ; transplanted between the geraniums, I think it needs a bit of shade rather than full fun from our summer scorching heat.
(2) Squash – yellow truffles ~ I have never eaten squash in my life before or cook it either. I wonder how does it taste like. But the vegetable look so cute, out of curiosity we are growing them this summer. There are four in the punnets, one of the seedlings is surrounded by carrots.
(4) Tomato- Rouge de Marmande ~ I am trying to find which tomato variety is suitable in our veggie patch with the kind of climate we have here. This is one of Australia favourite it is so popular.
(5) Capsicum- Sweet mixed ~ 7 seedlings with different variety.
(6) Portulaca- Sundial Mango. I like the colour and it always bloom in summer here.
(7) Dahlia-Cinderalla ~ First time in my life growing them. I hope I won’t make it die in my hands.
Some of the thing that I noticed when we were at the nursery:
- This summer all the plants price are up at least 25cents. Next time I have to resist much harder.
- All the cucurbit seedlings that in display don’t have any true leaf yet or just one true leaf same growth as the one we sowed at home.
- Not many selection of varieties this year compared with last year especially with the melons. This is a busy month for gardeners, in Southern hemisphere we are preparing for summer veggies, and Northern hemisphere with fall planting.
- Happy gardening.