Wednesday, July 20, 2011

How to make edible BOMB~Winter Wednesday

This is a fun and easy Malaysia traditional cake that children can participate in the making at the kitchen. In Malaysia it is known as 'Kuih Bom Keledek' which literally translate as Sweet potatoes Bomb Cake. It is quick to prepare about 45 minutes (psst...my first time). Maybe less for a pro. I got the recipe from CikManggis. CikManggis said not to worry as it won't explode. I am obsess about sweet potatoes this week since we harvested some last weekend. In this cold winter weather,working in the kitchen looks more inviting than the garden at the moment. This cooking made enjoyable teatime of hot bombs and hot tea in this cold middle of winter season. Lets make some bomb.
Ingredients:
80 gram of mashed sweet potatoes (boiled)
120 gram glutinous rice flour
20 gram flour
35 gram castor sugar
a pinch of salt
100ml water
sesame seeds
grated coconut (you can also use red bean paste/adzuki bean paste)

Mix all the ingredient above except for the sesame seeds and grated coconut. Knead the dough  until all of the ingredients well incorporated. Make a round bomb ball about the size of a ping pong ball.
Heat some cooking oil for deep-frying.
Meanwhile, make a hole and fill the bomb with grated coconut.
Make it a bomb shape again with the grated coconut safely in the middle of the bomb.
Roll the bomb on sesame seeds to cover the whole bomb with it.
Fry the ball until golden brown.
CikManggis got 12 bombs and I got 14 bombs.
How many bombs did you got?


Please join us!

18 comments:

Kristi said...

I will have to try that, thank's :)

Daphne Gould said...

Those sound wonderful. I've had them before, but only with red bean paste. Never with sweet potatoes.

Mr. H. said...

Hope I get the chance to try these as they sure sound good.:)

Phoebe said...

Yumo!!! I'd love to have one of those right now with my tea!

cikmanggis said...

hahaha banyaknya bom !!nasib baik tak meletup.Keledek yang Cm tanam dah hidup subur tak sabar nak tunggu hasilnya nak bikin bom:)

~TastyTravels~ said...

Those look sooo yummy! I think they're like the treat they serve at Chinese dim sum restaurants. I love the sesame on the outside! Delicious!

Stephanie said...

Sounds so good! I saved this recipe for future use. Thanks!!

Veggie Gnome said...

Yum! Must make them. Are kids a requirement for making them? If so, can I borrow yours? :)

Great pictures, as usual!

littlekarstar said...

I really love eating these! Something I must try to make although I'm scared of deep frying, the only time I deep fried something I set fire to the kitchen...

takaeko said...

They look yummy! I missed an opportunity to plant swee potatos this summer since all shops had no sweet potato's sprouts in stock. I feel envious of you who can enjoy "explosively sweet cakes"!!

Cat-from-Sydney said...

MKG dear,
My Mama would usually cook the grated coconut with palm sugar, a pinch of salt and pandan leaf before putting them in the bomb. har har har *evil laughs*

Sue Catmint said...

this is a wonderful recipe for children to make - i'm printing it out to do with my grandson - look forward to it. But could we call them balls instead of bombs? Am I being too precious?

veggiegobbler said...

I think I am going to break my rule and go to the shops tomorrow for some sweet potato even though it's not shopping day. I am drooling at the thought of these.

Gooseberry Jam said...

What an interesting recipe, I must try these with the family one day. Thanks for sharing! :)

Malay-Kadazan girl said...

Kristi~ Hope you have fun making bombs.

Daphne~You can change the sweet potatoes with pumpkin.

Mr.H~I think you will have the chance and fun experimenting making bombs! You can use pumpkin too instead of sweet potatoes.

Phoebe~ Had too much with those bombs with tea. I probably have to watch my waistline.

Cikmanggis~Dekat Malaysia mesti lagi cepat dapat hasil :).

Holly~ Sesame seeds made them more crunchy.

Stephanie~ Have fun!

Veggie Gnome~ You don't need the kids but I borrow you both of my boys anytime hehehe...the sheep will stay away as far as they can from the excited screaming.

Mrs Bok~Don't worry. This should be ok its relatively safe not like frying fish. I know how you feel, I am not good at baking and consistantly worried that something will burst out from the oven. Bit by bit I got braver using the oven.

takaeko~ You can grow them from young shoots of sweet potato plants. If anyone have established sweet potato plants you can ask them to cut a bit at the tips.

Cat-from-Sydney~Macam inti kuih ketayapkan? Next time will try thanks for the idea.

Catmint~ Balls will be a nice name too. Any interesting name that attracts the kids too make them.

Veggiegobbler~Its very nice too eat them when they are warm especially in this cold winter.

Gooseberry Jam~ Hope this is something all your family will really enjoy.

kitchen flavours said...

That's a tray of beautiful bombs! Never tried it with sweet potato filling before! Your first time, looks like professional-lah! Can buka gerai!

Malay-Kadazan girl said...

Kitchen Flavours~ Its the camera trick that made it looks professional :).

shaz said...

Great bombs! You have to start a cooking blog now yeah? ;) Thanks for another great contribution.