Friday, November 25, 2011

Spring Onions and Prawn toasts

Thanks to Mad Gnomes for sharing some of their self-sowed spring onions last fall from their garden we have many to harvest this spring. We usually don't allocate specific patch to grow spring onions as we always plant them in between with other plants. With these seedlings, we planted it under sunflower that were growing last fall.
Those spring onions are starting to flower now.
I found this interesting recipe to enjoy those spring onions. Ilhan like prawns and bread very much, so I thought it will be something he will enjoyed very much. It is also a good way to finished slice bread quickly before it come to waste when it need to be finished soon. Lenay made this for Ilhan since she is much better at frying coated prawns than me.
Prawn toast (from The Australian Women's Weekly~World Table recipe book)
Ingredients:
16 uncooked large prawns (750gram)
2 eggs, beaten lightly
1/4 cup (35gram) cornflour/cornstarch
8 thick slices white bread
1 green onion (spring onions), chopped finely (personally I think it will be much better if those spring onions not finely slice, maybe1~2cm)
vegetable oil, for deep frying

Sweet chilli dipping sauce (combine ingredients in small bowl)
1/4 cup (60ml) sweet chilli sauce
1/4 cup (60ml) chicken stock
2 teaspoons soy sauce

~Shell and devein prawns, leaving tail intact (I don't keep the tail to make easier for my kids to eat). Cut lenthways along backs of prawns, without separating halves. Toss flattened prawns in medium bowl with combined egg and cornflour; mix well.
~Remove and discard crusts from bread, cut each slice in half. Place one prawn, cut-side down, on each piece of bread; gently flatten prawn onto bread. Sprinkle prawns with onion; press on firmly.
~Heat oil in large wok; carefully lower toast; in batches, into hot oil.
~Deep fry until browned lightly and cooked through; drain on absorbent paper.
~Meanwhile, make sweet chilli diping sauce.
~Serve prawn with dipping sauce.
This can be good to bring for picnic as well.

22 comments:

Malar said...

It's definately yummy recipe that I want to try! They look so good!

my name as... said...

mcm sedap... simple leh wat sok utk bf...

Jody said...

That looks delicious! Spring onions are several months away around here. We're so glad to see them growing in your garden!

Cat-from-Sydney said...

Wow! Yummy! I think we have all the ingredients at home. purrr....meow!

Liz said...

They look lovely!!!! I keep meaning to leave some spring onions in to go to seed but then I keep eating them - I think they look really nice with flowers on.

cikmanggis said...

yum yum..Cm nak buat untuk adik minum petang sekejap lagi:)Terima kasih sebab bagi Idea!

Unknown said...

sedapnya! penah nmpk dulu2 dlm tv chef wan share this recipe..tp dia chopped udang tu..:)

James David said...

so delicious looking..
like cucur udang!

Sunray Gardens said...

Wonderful looking and worth trying.
Cher Sunray Gardens

kitchen flavours said...

Diana, I absolutely love spring onions! It is a favourite with my kids! Luckily I have a constant supply in my garden! Your prawn toasts looks so delicious and I can imagine dipping it in chili sauce! Air liuh dah nak meleleh! Yummy! Thanks for sharing!

Sue Catmint said...

this post makes me hungry - but i can't get prawns at 11 o'clock at night!!!!!!!

Sean L said...

Oh yummy, the spring onions must add a nice twang to the prawns.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

I know this is yummy as I made this before. I also have little spring onion in my little garden^^

cookingvarieties said...

hi diana, wow, first time for me, i get to read a recipe from you and it so happens, prawns are my favorite.

They look very delicious, i can finish 10 pieces in one sitting
ha ha.. eat with salad, no rice etc.
bookmarked with thanks

rainfield61 said...

You grow plants, and you cook food.

You have done both so good.

kumittyi said...

looks delicious!!!
I have to go get some prawn and sweet chilli sauce soon.
I don't usually use chilli sauce in cooking.
I have never heard "SWEET " one.

Stephanie said...

Gosh those pieces of fried bread are yummy! And look really good for parties. I love to add onion shoots into my cooking also. Have a wonderful weekend to you and family!

heather at wordplayhouse® said...

We love onions here—they grow wild on the hill around us and we delight and picking them and eating them fresh-picked. Yours are beautiful! -heather

Malay-Kadazan girl said...

Malar~ Hope you enjoy it.

Apa saja yang boleh dikongsi~Sesuai untuk sarapan. Kalau ada lebih boleh buat minum teh pula.

Jody~Onion seedlings will be good for this as well.

Cat-From-Sydney~ This is sure all of you will enjoy very much.Finger licking good like KFC.

Liz~I did not meant to let them flower. But I can be forgetful on what edibles are available in the garden.

Cikmanggis~Harap adik suka.

HangKebon~Macam-macam cara boleh enjoy ya :).

James~Oh lama tak makan cucur udang. I can use spring onion for cucur udang too.

Cher~A nice snack.

Joyce~Your kids will certainly enjoy this for snack. Its nice that you have plenty of fresh spring onions to enjoy!

Catmint~We eat prawn once a week.If its not in the freezer anymore, we remember to get some from the next market trip.

Sean L~Yes some healthy greens on the snack.

Cookingvarieties~Prawns our favourite too here. Sekali-sekali menarik juga makan meal yang bukan dengan nasi.

Rainfield61~I need to be closer to nature with hiking and trekking as well. Good for the body and soul.

Kumittyi~South-east Asia chilli sauce is usually hot and sweet. I think sometime you can find sweet chilli sauce with 'Maggi" brand in Japan supermarket that exports foreign food.

Stephanie~Ah I shall remember this for party as well. Thanks for the idea.

Heather~Wow wild onions. You are lucky!

Stephanie said...

Btw, remember the pancake style I shared. See below link... using the whole pan to make the cake... not messy at all... ;-)

http://heretoannarbor.blogspot.com/2011/11/thanksgiving-weekend.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+HereToAnnArbor+%28Here+to+Ann+Arbor%29

And the seeds you sent me, some have sprouted. Growing really slowly due to the rainy weather. I sowed right after receiving. It was raining a lot lately. So the seeds were wet. My mailbox is not rain proof hehe... Will post later.

lena said...

your spring onion grwing great and they look fat! your toasts will make a great snack for me!

Malay-Kadazan girl said...

Stephanie~ Thank you so much for the link. Opps...I must remember to wrap the seeds with plastic next time. In Malaysia, I don't think any mailbox will be rainproof with how much rain pouring. Glad that some of the seeds sprouted.

Lena~Those spring onions were special gift from generous friend. It is very hard to say no to her :).