Sunday, April 28, 2013

"Antelope" Dendrobium

 After I returned back from my stay with my parents at Borneo Island, I got very upset seeing how the edible garden became like when I left it on my husband to look after it. I can't say my blood pressure when up since I never had problem with my blood pressure. But the colour red was very significant. So I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me when I saw this orchid/dendrobium species blooming at first. Why are the orchid flower petals has horns? Is it because I was getting really mad and growing a pair of invisible horns myself made me started to imagine things. So I got closer to the blooming orchids and inspected. I have never knew that there were orchids species with a horn-like African Antelope petal flowers before.
 Sean owner of Half A Pound Of Treacle helped me again to identify this dendrobium. I think this flower is so cute like some animation characters. It does really look like an African Antelope face.
 I think I will have to put a tag on the plant, it might be easy to get it mixed up with other orchids in my mother collection. I don't think she even remember what type of orchids she has and which is which. This is the tree that my mother has train the "Antelope" Dendrobium plant at. I don't think there are only one type of orchid but several variety on the same tree. 
 One of the reason, I have not started getting any new orchids is that I might bought several plants that is already in our garden just waiting for its turn to bloom. At the moment, I think it is best if I just record the orchids we already have in the garden collection for future reference. I also need to increase my knowledge in the Dendrobium world.

9 comments:

Kadazan sis.TRG said...

Hi, you have a very cute dendrobium over there. Yeah, sometimes we do not notice the 'special part' of the plants that we see everyday.Suprisingly, when we got time to take a real closer look at them....da,da...then we notice that there are something special in every plants.....
Hey, will you be around for the coming election?

Mark Willis said...

That certainly is a wierd flower!

Dewberry / Amanita said...

Nice! It looks very exotic :)

rainfield61 said...

This is like you are so rich, so much so you lose track on what amount of land you are having.

Daphne Gould said...

Very pretty orchid.

Gardener on Sherlock Street said...

Leave it to a pretty flower to make you forget what's not right in the garden.
What a nice surprise!

Sue Garrett said...

Lovely unusual flowers - has it a perfume too?

Kate said...

How fun! You have a whole year of surprises waiting for you. I look forward to seeing each one.

Malay-Kadazan girl said...

Kadazan ziz. TRG~ Sorry for the late reply. We did balik kampung to Terengganu during the grand election.

Mark~ Yes a fusion of plant and animal.

Dewberry~ Its fun to discover this plant in the garden.

Daphne~ I like the colour combination.

GoSS~ Yes it did give some distraction.

Sue~ I have not sniff the plant. Will do so with a fresher bloom next time.

Kate~ I look forward to discover other new dendrobium in our garden too.